Friday, June 25, 2010

Alleluia

For all those concerned fans:
I finally called my doctors after three sleepless nights with numb, pins and needles hands. Unfortunately my doctor was off (she just finished 24 hours at the hospital); so I was told to go to the hospital and see the OB on call who is a part of my doctors team.

Side note: My husband and I share a cell phone and have no home phone. He is normally in an office and so am I but right now he is in classes preparing for the Bar Exams which means that if I have the phone and he doesn't then I have no way of getting a hold of him. Our solution was to get a basic prepaid phone until the baby comes for emergency purposes. Well of course I am 34 weeks in and we don't have a phone and now I need to go to the hospital and he is scheduled to pick me up after work. Annoying. Needless to say we figured it out but he now has a phone.

Back to the hospital:
The nurse and a resident doctor checked me out. Blood pressure: normal, urine: normal, ultrasound: normal, babies heartbeat: normal. They kept talking to me about my swollen feet which at this point I am completely over. They told me all the things I've heard and read and have been doing to reduce swelling (to no avail). But all I really care about at this point is that my hands loosing feeling has been preventing me from sleeping. I'm getting the response that I sort of expected, you are healthy and the baby is healthy and sometimes these things happen during pregnancy and there's nothing to be done. Okay well at least I know loosing feeling in your hands and waking up with pins and needles is sort of normal.

However, I couldn't leave until the actual OB checked me out. She was in surgery (I assume delivering some baby via c-section) but she came in with a lot of energy and a great attitude. She and the nurses said that I had done the right thing coming in and they really didn't want to discourage me which was nice. Then, alleluia a solution; the doctor mentioned getting a night brace to keep the wrist in an open position and allow circulation to continue to flow during the night.

I was exhausted after work and the hospital visit but I went to a drug store and got one of these things and wouldn't you know it, it worked! So the last couple nights I have just been getting up to go to the bathroom three times a night rather then being fully awake and having to get out of bed completely due to this numb hand business. It's been great and I'll take it.

2 comments:

  1. Yippy! That's great Jane! So glad it worked out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You both have cell phones now, right? eek!

    so glad everything is okay...sounds like a nice doctor, and helpful, too!

    ReplyDelete